This Name of Allah is mentioned in the Qur’an twice. Allah says:
He is Allah, other than whom there is no deity, the Sovereign, the Pure, the Perfection, the Bestower of Faith, the Overseer, the Exalted in Might, the Compeller, the Superior. Exalted is Allah above whatever they associate with Him. [al Hashr 59: 23]
Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is exalting Allah , the Sovereign, the Pure, the Exalted in Might, the Wise. [al- Jumu’ah 62: 1]
1) Means to be pure, to be clean. Purifying ourselves for Allah. Baytal Maqdis is called the house of pure, in filistene. All of the Names of Allah are Husna. So Allah is pure without ever being impure.
2) Means Barakah/ blessing. e.g. Al ardal muqaddisah – The blessed land – Ash Shaam. The ultimate blessings are in Allah’s Names.
Al-Quddus means as Ibn Qayyim says: pure from any form of defect, evil or deficiency, – taahir, pure in every single respect and every single form. Pure in the ultimate sense.
[He is] Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you from yourselves, mates, and among the cattle, mates; He multiplies you thereby. There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the Hearing, the Seeing. [ash Shuraa 42:11]
Say, ―He is Allah [who is] One, [al Ikhlaas 112:1]
All His Names and Attributes are pure with no deficiencies, faults or errors at all.
Benefits that we can learn from this Name
1. Muhabbah for Allah. We are worshipping a Lord who is ultimately Pure and that never comes out of being pure. He is Pure and Perfect in His barakah. Hadith in Sahih Muslim. After looking at the face of Allah (in Jannah) the believers will return back and the people will say, you have become even more beautiful. Because the faces that see Allah became clean and pure. But the people who looked at Allah, they will say, you have also become more beautiful, face has become pure, one filled with blessings, as it saw a face that had seen the face of Allah subhana ta’alaa.
2. He is Quddus in His statements in His Actions, everything He has said, done, going to do. All His characteristics are Quddus. Words that are purified and blessed, so they will purify and bless us. We are covered in the tahara of Al Quddus. There is no greater effect on the believers but the words of Al Quddus. The one who wants to purify themselves and bless themselves, then they should turn to the words of Al Quddus. Choose the blessing of Allah, His kalam, it is pure and it is the greatest of blessings. It is the greatest way to give you tahara in your body, soul, and heart. Let the Quran purify you.
But the ones who believe and do righteous deeds – We will admit them to gardens beneath which rivers flow, wherein they will abide forever. [It is] the promise of Allah [which is] truth, and who is more truthful than Allah in statement. [an Nisaa 4:122]
The Speech of Al-Quddus is pure and is a cure, healing, and guidance for you to purify yourself. So turn to the Qur’an to seek cure from the diseases of your heart, let the ayat help you to improve your character, and recite the Qur’an daily to clean your heart and bring tranquillity to your body.
3. His rule/sharee’ah and laws are all pure and full of barakah. Sometimes we don’t see a fruit of a particular law, due to lack of eemaan. But the believer should say that whatever He hears from Allah it will be Quddus, all the Commandments of Allah will be blessed. And we will be blessed in doing it. Because they have come from Al Quddus, they are blessings, and purification for us.
4. Malik al Quddus and Maalik al Quddus. The Kingship of Allah, and the Mulk of Allah, the Authority of Allah, the Ownership, are all pure.
5. Having true eemaan in Al Quddus, shows this will purify you. Allah has prescribed it a reason for every ibadah we do even if we do not understand it. It is pure and so there is purification in it for us. Every trial we face, we know that Al-Quddus has sent us this and we know that this will purify us. So the one who learns the Names and Attributes of Allah, begins to live life differently. He begins to have eemaan in everything that Allah has blessed them with and knows that any trial is purification for them in the Dunya and Aakhirah.
6. Have a pure belief in Al-Quddus. Believe in the oneness of Al-Quddus and make sure your creed (or aqeedah) is pure by studying the types of tawheed and their practical meanings in your daily life from trustworthy sources, like Kitaab ut -Tawheed (The Book of Tawheed) by ibn Abd Al-Wahhab.
7. Praise Al-Quddus. Say alhamdulilah and subhanAllah from the bottom of your heart. The Prophet salallahu ‗alayhi wa sallam used to say in his prayer while in the bowing position (ruku):
Glorified, Holy, Lord of the angels and the Ruh (Jibra’il alayhi salam). [Muslim]
You can add this beautiful invocation to enhance your prayer.
8. Purify yourself through prayer. The Prophet salallahu ‗alayhi wa sallam asked the companions:
If someone bathes in a river outside of his house five times a day, will there be any impurity left on him? [Muslim]
Visualise your prayer as cleansing your body and soul. Your prayer also protects you: Allah says:
Recite, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish prayer. Indeed, prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing, and the remembrance of Allah is greater. And Allah knows that which you do. [al Ankaboot 29:45]
9. Give the best sadaqah. Give zakah (obligatory) and sadaqah (charity) to ―purify and increase your wealth.
Take, [O Muhammad], from their wealth a charity by which you purify them and cause them increase, and invoke [Allah ‘s blessings] upon them. Indeed, your invocations are reassurance for them. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing. [at Tawbah 9:103]
Remind yourself when you give sadaqah to give the best, as Allah is Al-Quddus and He deserves the best to be given for His sake. Aishah radiyalahu anha used to perfume the charity she gave.
10. Be clean inside and out and strive to purify and keep renewing your intentions when you do a good deed. Be thoughtful with your wudu; do your best to not only keep your belongings and house clean, but also your environment by not throwing litter and by removing harmful objects. Consume healthy and permissible food and drink— bought with halal earnings— and teach children this way of living
11. Ask Al-Quddus. The Prophet salallahu‘ alayhi wa sallam used to ask Al-Quddus at the beginning of prayer:
O Allah, distance me from my sins just as You have distanced The East from The West, O Allah, purify me of my sins as a white robe is purified of filth, O Allah, cleanse me of my sins with snow, water, and ice. [Al-Bukhari, Muslim]
Use and reflect on this supplication as it contains all forms of purification: distancing (moving far away from dirt and deficiencies), removing dirt or filth, and washing or cleansing, so no impurity remains at the end.
· Al Quddus, He is Taahir, One with infinite blessings (siffat dhaatiyyah) and He purifies and grants blessings (siffat f’iliyyah.)
· Side note: Ruhul Quddus – soul that is blessed. Title Given to Jibreel alayhi saalam because He is the one who comes down with revelation. He heard it from Allah and passed it to the Messengers. Blessed and completely pure.